10 March 2008

Boredom, Moving and Weather!!

I'm having a very bored day. I'm off work today because I worked a day at the weekend (when everyone else was off!!) so therefore I get a day off during the week (when everyone else is at work!!!) so hence I'm sitting around on my own with nothing to do.........well, nothing I want to do.

I wrote a poem about being bored once when I was bored.

Of course I could tidy the bedroom and try to sort some of my stuff out. My beloved and I will be moving out of the flat soon to go and live at my parents until we get married. I really ought to start setting stuff aside to take over so that we don't have a whole load to move at once.

My friend Vicki is coming over on thursday for a few days and after she's gone it'll be all stations go moving stuff over to my parents.

I didn't get much sleep last night because of very stormy weather. On the news yesterday, they were going on about a storm hitting England and Wales and I said "Surely, if it's going to hit England and Wales, it has to pass us first?!" But there was no mention at all of any inclement weather for Northern Ireland.

As I was drifting off to sleep, I had a vague thought that the kitchen window was slightly open and that maybe I should close it in case it got windy, but then there was no forecast of windy weather for us so I thought it would be ok.

I was awoken at around 2.45 am by ferocious wind and rain battering against the window. It sounded like there was a hurricane going on outside. As I woke up a little more, I could hear the sound of the front door rattling, then I remembered about the kitchen window. I think I swore quietly at this point imagining the window being blown open and things being smashed and broken in the kitchen.

It reminded me of a time when I was a child and we were on a boat to Liverpool and it was really stormy at sea.

When I got into the kitchen, the window had been blown wide open as I'd feared and the rain and wind were being blown in. It really did look like a storm at sea. I expected to see waves because the rain looked like sea spray. As the window is just behind the kitchen sink, I had to lunge across the sink to try and grab the handle of the window, but I couldn't reach it and was flailing about for a while balancing on the worktop getting battered by wind and rain. I doubt I would have fallen out of the window but it was really scary at the time. Eventually I had to climb onto the worktop to reach out to the window.

I was quite shaken when I eventually got the window closed. I couldn't sleep afterwards. I kept worrying about where the birds would go and where the ducks would go and then I was worrying about debris hitting our car and worrying if mum had brought in her potted plants in case they got damaged.

I put on BBC News 24 for a while but there was no mention of the storm. Well, they kept going on about it hitting England and Wales at dawn but they didn't say anything about the fact that it was currently battering the hell out of Belfast. Even today, they haven't said anything about it on the news.

Perhaps it was all a dream!

3Useful Comments:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogCommentDateTime$> <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

Post a Comment

<< Home