01 November 2005

Oh look it's November!

Hello again. It'll be Christmas soon before we know it, blimey! We have Christmas decorations on sale at work and Boots are using Christmassy carrier bags hehe. I think I have a Boots addiction. Since I work just next door to it, I'm always popping in on my breaks and buying myself nice things and I love Boots meal deals. I always get chicken fahijta salad for my lunch and a bag of grapes and a smoothie for my break. I bought some nice Sanctuary Spa stuff yesterday, it was on a 3 for 2 offer. I spend so much money in Boots!! Today I went for a walk round to Superdrug and realised I would save money going there instead, but Boots is right next door!! I'm too lazy!

Last night, being Hallowe'en, there were fireworks going off all over the place. Me, being boring didn't go out to see the huge fireworks display in town or get dressed up and go on a pub crawl with my work colleagues. I had mum's home-made apple pie and my spiced apple cider drink mum brought me from New York and that was the extent of my participation in Hallowe'en. I can never really be bothered with it, even as a child I wasn't particularly enthusiastic about it. Some French man asked me today why there were fireworks everywhere last night and what it all meant. They musn't have Hallowe'en in France. I don't think they have it in the rest of Europe. It's a celtic festival and the only reason they have it in America is because British and Irish people brought the tradition over when they emigrated. They seem to celebrate it more than us though which is odd. They also celebrate St Patrick's Day more than us. In fact we don't really celebrate St Patrick's day, well not in Belfast and Northern Ireland much anyway although in recent years there have been attempts to organise St Patrick's Day parades. I can't really be bothered with St Patrick's Day either. I'm sounding like such a miserable sod now hehe. Anyway, here is a good link that explains things about Hallowe'en . I have never heard of any of the Irish traditions it talks about. I know the one it says is English though, about singing the Punkie song. Well I think it's the same song. We sing this:

"Hallowe'en's coming up and the goose is getting fat,
Please put a penny in the old man's hat
If you haven't got a penny, a ha'penny will do
If you haven't got a ha'penny,
Then God bless you"
We used to make lanterns out of turnips and go round the doors singing that song and people would give us money for entertaining them. Does anyone else know that song?
Ah, well. I'm off work now until Monday hurrah!! I need to buy new clothes in preparation for my favourite person coming on the 14th!!!! hehe . I'm also on the hunt for a piano. I was hoping to have one by the time my favourite person comes so I can play for him, but even if I do buy one in the next week, we won't be able to have it delivered until mum and dad have decorated the room it's going into. It's probably going to be another month before I have it.

I have another driving lesson tomorrow, I feel like giving up. I seem to have come to a point where I'm not progressing at all and the lessons are so expensive!! People keep telling me it'll all come together one day, but I can't see it. The instructor tells me I'm doing better than most people would be at this stage, but I think he's just saying that.

4Useful Comments:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogCommentDateTime$> <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

Post a Comment

<< Home