09 November 2006

Arrghh!!! Getting pestered on my mobile now as well!!

Yesterday morning about a quarter to 11, I had a missed call from 02920240069 which I thought was an odd number and then this morning, I was rudely awoken at 9.20am by a call from 02920368701 (which I didn't answer).

Hmm.......I thought, so I got up, had some mini Kinder variety sweets for breakfast ,got back into bed, thought hmm...... a few times more and then decided to consult my old pal Google.

I then discovered other blogs mentioning those numbers and a forum as well. It turns out that it's some call centre scam thing trying to get money out of people by telling them their mobile contract is about to run out and that they can save money by switching contracts. It's a Cardiff number apparently. The callers claim to be calling from your network provider and have also tried to get people to make payments over the phone.

I never answer my mobile if I don't know who's calling and especially if it's a strange number. Unfortunately Dean's landline doesn't show up on my phone, it just says "unknown" when he calls but I always know when it's him calling :)

Anyway, if anyone legitimate is trying to get in touch with me, they can leave a voicemail. I wish we had voicemail on our landline because I missed a call from my great aunt last night because we don't answer the phone anymore because of call centre hassle. I did 1471, recognised the number and called her back.

I'm not at all impressed with NTL, giving us a pre-owned number without letting enough time elapse and their customer service shuts at 8 in the evening. That's the only call centre I know of that shuts that early!! And they are a big company as well so they should be open longer. I'm actually feeling inclined to change to BT, although after Christmas, we only have 4 months left in this flat so I suppose it mightn't be worth the hassle of changing considering we'd have to give a month's notice as well. Next time, I'm getting BT, even if it is a bit more expensive. You get what you pay for. We had BT at home for years until my parents swapped to NTL thinking it would be cheaper. We had too many problems with NTL with the internet connection and cable TV and it didn't appear to be being much cheaper so my parents went back to BT and got the BT/SKY package which is great and the customer service with BT is much superior.

Anyway, this post was supposed to be about being pestered on my mobile. Got sidetracked there!!

Here is the blog I found which talks about the mobile scam:

Blog-Ed

and here is the forum where people had been talking about it:

What Mobile Forums

2Useful Comments:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogCommentDateTime$> <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

Post a Comment

<< Home